Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Happy Birthday, Simpson Family!

The longest running American sitcom and cartoon turns 19 today. The Simpsons entered syndication on December 17, 1989 after appearing on the Tracy Ullman Show. There have been over 400 episodes and the animated sitcom has served as inspiration for numerous other shows. As a kid who wasn't allowed to watch early episodes of The Simpsons, I appreciated it more than others as a teenager. As an adult, I still laugh at the wit displayed in this cartoon. So take 30 minutes, kick back and watch an episode of the Simpsons today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When the Simpsons started, I was desperately trying to cover up my sexuality by pretending to be as proper as possible. This meant that I couldn't like the Simpsons because of the crude and disrespectful language, particularly of Bart. Yeah, I was overcompensating. ;)

Since coming out, and loosening up, I've been able to enjoy the Simpsons for both its entertainment and its political value. I don't watch it regularly, but when I do, I almost always enjoy it.